We Are Hiring at Our Main Location in Ann Arbor. Join A Growing Team And Make an Impact. Apply Now!
Sr. Research Scientist - Polymer Chemistry
1. Role & Responsibilities
This position is full-time. The candidate will collaborate with Ecovia’s R&D team and oversee biopolymer chemistry and product development, with the following primary responsibilities:
- Development of efficient, cost-effective, and scalable chemistries and processing methods for cross-linking and derivatization of Ecovia’s core biopolymer products
- Development of biopolymer composite materials and formulations
- Characterization of new biopolymer materials with SEC, NMR, FTIR, SEM, etc.
- Development and implementation of assays for benchmarking biopolymer material/formulation performance in target applications, including rheology modification, liquid absorbency, and controlled release and delivery applications
- Development and implementation of analytical assays for manufacturing QC/QI
- PhD level applicants will be expected to serve as Principal Investigator (PI) or co-PI on Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grants and lead or assist in grant preparation
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer
Secondary responsibilities may include:
- Assisting in management and maintenance of R&D laboratory
- Attending and presenting at periodic conferences and trade shows as a representative of Ecovia Renewables Inc.
- Participating in business management or business development activities, as per the interests of candidate and needs of the company
The following qualifications are required:
- Degree in Chemical / Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related field:
- M.S. with 6+ years relevant industry experience
- PhD with 3+ years relevant industry experience
- Track-record of developing innovative solutions to technically challenging synthesis chemistry, formulation, or polymer product development problems
- Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to work well and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, both independently and as part of team
- Ability to multi-task on multiple projects
The following experiences/skills are preferred:
- Synthesis and characterization of hydrogel materials
- Polymer product development, particularly hydrogel materials, water soluble polymers, biopolymers
- Polymer processing / manufacturing at pilot or larger scales
- Product development or formulation experience in relevant application areas, including topical personal care formulations, absorbent hygiene products, pharmaceutical controlled release and delivery formulations, etc.
- Work experience at startup company
- Grant writing or other fundraising experience
- Familiarity with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Ecovia offers a competitive benefits package. This includes stock options for all employees and Platinum medical coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. We also offer dental, vision, and group life insurance.
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com and reference "Sr. Research Scientist - Polymer Chemistry" in the Subject line.